Nothing says good bye weekend like some Chili… We started our culinary journey the night before by soaking our beans in water. Then when Sunday morning rolled around we got up with the sun and got started on our little chili project.
1 1/3 cup dried pinto beans or dried kidney beans (we used both, half and half)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
4 celery stalks, diced
2 cups diced onion
2 Tbsp chili powder
6 garlic cloves
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 lb ground turkey or chicken
1. The night before you want the chili, soak the beans in plenty of water overnight. The next morning, drain the water and rinse off the beans.
2. Combine tomato paste, celery onion, chili powder, garlic, cumin and oil into a skillet. Cook on medium heat until the onions soften. Transfer to slow cooker.
3. Place beans, brown sugar, salt, tomatoes, water and ground turkey in the slow cooker and stir to combine.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, until beans are soft and flavors blended. Add salt and pepper to taste and more spices, if needed.
5. Serve with sour cream and cheddar cheese.