When 20-40 minutes left… Add parmesan, cream (we used lactaid & margarine) and blend with immersion blender… add noodles…
Tomato Basil Pasta Soup
Makes about 8 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 5-6 quart
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed (sub 1 cup milk 1 Tbsp butter)
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving if you desire
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2-3cups uncooked campanelle or rotini pasta, optional*
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until it starts wafting smoke.
2. Add in carrots, celery, onion and tomato paste.
3. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker.
4. Stir the flour into the vegetables (it will be pasty).
5. Add in basil, oregano, tomatoes, broth,honey and salt. Stir a bit and cover.
6. Cook for about 4-6 hours on low (add noodle in the last 20 to 40min)
7.Use an immersion blender to cream
8.Stir in cream that has been warmed, Parmesan cheese and parsley**
9.*Then add noodles, cook in the last 20 to 40min. Or until noodles are cooked. **hold parsley till now if adding noodles
10. Sprinkle with more cheese, salt and pepper to taste