Sometimes it’s good to try new things… now before making this soup, barley wasn’t something I commonly ate. Rice, yes. Pasta, a my goodness yes! So I thought it was about time to take a crack at Chicken and Barley Soup in the ‘ol crockpot. So lets dive right into our latest soup adventure, shall we?
First let’s introduce some of our ingredients…
Cook on low for 8 hours…
Crock Pot Chicken and Barley Soup
- 48 oz low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz water
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp garlic sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 tbsp basil
- 1/2 tbsp cilantro
- 1/4 tbsp dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup uncooked black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked through
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 medium sweet onion, cubed
- 20 oz potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 10 oz shredded carrots
- low-fat sour cream (optional)
- Add chicken, peas and barley, then layer onion, potatoes and carrots overtop. Heat broth and water, add liquid. It should just cover vegetables. Add garlic, herbs and pepper do not stir.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove bay leaves and stir before serving. Server with sour cream, if desired.