I love scones, and it’s been ages since we’ve made any from scratch… so this week was the week! This time though, we decided to break out the new zester, and add some orange zest to our scones.
Oatmeal Scones (with Orange Zest)
- 2/3 cup margarine (or butter), melted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups Quick Quaker Oats, uncooked
- 1/4 cup fructose (or sugar)
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- Add margarine, milk and egg to combined dry ingredients; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Shape dough to form ball; pat out on lightly floured surface to form 8-inch circle.
- Cut into 8 to 12 wedges; bake on greased cookie sheet in preheated hot oven (425 F) for 12 – 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
I think I’ll try adding lemon zest to scones next time, and perhaps make up some lemon curd (dairy free) that I can enjoy next time!
What are some of your favorite scones? Any suggestions?