This is another one of those amazing little recipes from the Southern Living Farmers Market Cookbook, that we made this week. Absolutely delicious, even if I’m not ‘big’ on the whole asparagus thing. We got to work with some lovely ‘greens’ for this recipe… so I had to share some close ups with you.
Now,I had a Ham-Goat cheese-and-Asapargus Sandwich, so feel free to have fun with different lettuces, meats and cheeses… and remember… a recipe is only a guideline… not a rule!
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine, softened
- 1 small garlic glove, minced
- 4 french bread loves, split
- 3 tbsp. mayo
- 8 slices ham
- 4 Swiss Cheese slices
- Bibb Lettuce
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Cook in boiling water to cover 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain and chill.
- Stir together butter and garlic.
- Spread butter mixture evenly over bottom halves of bread. Spread mayo evenly over top halves of bread. Layer bottom halves evenly with ham, asparagus, and cheese; place on a baking sheet.
- Broil 2 inches from heat 1 minute or just until cheese melts. (You’re going to want to watch that oven, the cheese melts alot faster than you think!) Top evenly with lettuce, tomato, and top halves of bread.